Zarda Rice is traditionally a Pakistani Sweet Dish, which is must for almost every occasion. The recipe doesn’t require a large number of ingredients hence can be prepared anytime without much of preparations.
I must say this is the sweet dish which looks so gorgeous because of its orange colour. Although it doesn’t require any garnishing but with small garnishing of nuts its looks like icing on the cake.
The recipe has many variations but this is my version of making Zarda rice at home. I still remember when I was young My Bua Ji used to make it during the festival and from that time I always wanted to make this recipe on my own…And here it goes…..
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- 1/4 Cup Cahewnut chopped
- 1/4 Cup Almonds Chopped
- 1/4 tsp Orange Food Coloring Mix with little water
- 6 Pcs Green Cardamom
- 20-25 Saffron Strands Add in 1/2 cup of milk
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Desi Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 4 Cloves
- Wash & drain the rice and soak the rice in water for atleat 30 minutes.
- In a large pan add water appx 1 litr. Add food color, and 1 tbsp of ghee and birng water to boil.
- When water starts boiling add soaked rice and let it cooked until 80-90% cooked.Strain the rice in the strainer.
- Now take a pan and heat the remaining ghee. Now add chopped nuts and roast the nuts well. Mke sure it can't burn. Take out some dryfruits for garnishing.
- Now add cardamom seeds, cloves, slightly roast it . Add rice, sugar and saffron milk. Mix well and now cover the rice and let it cook on very low flame for about 10-12 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and let it rest for 5- 10 minutes.
- Yummy, aromatic Zarda rice is ready to serve. Garnish it with some dry fruits.