Cutting chai or Mumbai cutting tea is basically a flavoured mixed spiced tea beverage prepared by boiling black tea, spices and full cream milk. it is typically served as a refreshment during morning with breakfast or with snacks in evening. Traditionally, chai was served in 2 steel cups which has been replaced by glass cups. These steel cups were placed one over the other and the chai was split in these 2 cups and were enjoyed by 2 people. Perhaps, this act of sharing the chai gave its name as cutting chai.
Water – 1 Cup
Milk – 1 Cup
Assam Tea – 2 Tsp
Sugar – 1 – 2 Tsp (as required)
Crushed Ginger – 1 Tbsp
You can also add cardamom (elaichi) and whole crushed black pepper if required
- In a medium saucepan, add the water, tea and sugar; bring it boil.
- Add crushed ginger bring to a boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Add the milk to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Stir the chai, then strain it into a warmed teapot or directly into teacups.
- Enjoy Mumbai Cutting Chai (Tea) !