In the north, it is locally known as Chaulai (चौलाई) or lal saag. It is a good source of vitamins C and A, iron and other essential minerals, besides being low in calories.
Low in calories and packed with the goodness of vitamins and minerals, red spinach contains a high content of fibre and water, which can help facilitate weight loss… So, if you happen to maintain a healthy calorific intake, going for nutrient-dense spinach could be a really good choice.
There are lots of variation that you can do with this saag i.e you can add onions, potatoes, tomatoes… But I love this saag like this only i.e. simple and tasty…
Lal Saag/ Red Spinach/Amaranthus ka Saag
- 1 Bunch Lal Saag
- 3-4 Cloves garlic Chopped
- 1 Pc Green Chili Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Cut the roots and hard stem of the red spinach and wash in water properly.
- Roughly chopped the red spinach.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a kadhai and add chopped garlic and green chillies. Saute till golden brown.
- Now add the chopped red spinach and salt. Mix well and close the lid and let it cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Open the lid and saute for 1-2 minutes. Red Spinach is ready to serve with hot Chapati or Rice. I love eating with Rice.