Did you know that bitter gourd or karela is not really a vegetable but a fruit? The part of the plant that is used for consumption and for various medicinal purposes is the fruit of the bitter squash.
Though unpleasantly bitter, it is always on the top for Diabetic ppl. It contains ‘gurmarin’, a polypeptide that works like insulin in our body and helps to regulate blood sugar levels.
There are lots of people who are fed-up of eating karela day by day because of its bitter taste, but they have too… So i have tried making some thing interesting with karela, so that from today onwards people enjoy eating karela…
I made this dish for my in-laws and you people don’t believe that they didn’t recognise that they are eating karela kebab.
Karele ke Kebab
- 1/2 Cup Bitter Gourd Grated
- 3/4 Cup Carrot Grated
- 3/4 Cup Peas Boiled and coarsely mashed
- 1/4 Cup Paneer Crumbled
- 1/4 Cup Bread crumbs Whole wheat
- 2 Tbsp Coriander leaves chopped
- 2 pcs Green Chilli chopped
- 1 Tbsp Dry Mango Powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for shallow fry
- 1.5 Tbsp garlic Finely Chopped
- 1 Cup Tomatoes Finely Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Spring Onion White
- 1 Tbsp Coriander leaves chopped
- 1 Tbsp Spring Onion green
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Chopped
- Salt to taste
- Add little salt to grated bitter gourd, mix well and keep aside for 2 to 3 minutes. Squeeze the water from it.
- Now in a large bowl add bitter gourd, carrot, green peas, paneer, coriander leaves, bread crumbs, green chilli , dried mango powder and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into equal portions and shape each portion into flat round kebab.
- Heat a non-stick tava and grease it using oil. Now put kebab's on the pan.
- Cook each kebab, till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tsp the oil in pan, add the garlic and spring onion whites and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, red chilli, salt and 1 tbsp water, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring continuously and lightly mashing with the back of a spoon.
- Add chilli sauce , mix well .Switch of the flame, add the coriander and spring onion greens and mix well
- Serve the karela kebab hot with garlic tomato chutney.