Maharashtrians would feel lost without poha! beaten rice flakes tossed with the traditional tempering of mustard seeds, chillies and curry leaves, this is served aesthetically with tiny wedges of lemon.
Thick Poha – 1 and 1/2 cup
Onion – 1 finely chopped
Green Chillies – 2 to 3
Curry leaves – 10 to 15
Coriander leaves – chopped
Roasted Peanuts – 2 Tbsp
Frozen or Fresh Vegetables – 1 cup ( Peas, Corn , Carrot)
Oil – 1 and 1/2 Tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Sugar – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Wash poha few times and drain water completely & set aside to soften.
- Add turmeric powder, salt & sugar. Gently mix.
- Put oil in Pan and when oil is hot add mustard seeds, when mustard seeds begins to splutter add curry leaves, green chillies & chopped onion.
- Cook until onions turns light brown.
- Add frozen vegetables and Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add poha and mix well. Cover & cook on a low heat until the poha becomes soft.
- Switch of the Heat and add Coriander leaves & lemon juice. Mix well.
- Onion Poha is Ready to Serve. Enjoy poha with Hot Ginger Tea.