Posh Vada is a very popular snack from the pink city Jaipur. It’s a deep-fried snack made up of mixed lentils. This posh vada is specially made in the winter during the months of December and January.
These Posh Vadas are made during the Hindi month “Posh”, so they are named as posh vadas. In Jaipur, these posh vadas are offered as bhog in all the Hindu temples and then the Prashad is distributed among all the devotees present in the temple. These posh vadas are very popular there and are also easily available in the roadside stalls.
Rajasthani Posh Vada
- 1/2 Cup Green moong dal
- 1/2 Cup Lobiya (Black Eye Bean)
- 1 tsp Carom seeds
- 1 Tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Seeds crushed in the mortar
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 Tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 10-12 pcs Black Pepper crushed in the mortar
- 5-6 pcs Cloves crushed in the mortar
- 3-4 pcs Green Chilii As per taste
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Grated
- 1 Tbsp Coriander leaves Chopped
- Salt to taste
- A Pinch Baking Soda
- Oil for Frying
- Soak green moong dal and lobiya for 7-8 hours.
- Gently rub the green moong dal between your palms and remove the skin. Wash properly and drain the excess water and keep it aside.
- Follow the same method with lobiya/ black eye beans. Now add both the lentils in a mixer, add salt and make a paste. The paste should neither be fine nor coarse.
- Now add chopped green chilli, grated ginger, fennel seeds, carrom seeds red chilli powder, garam masala, asafoetida, coriander leaves, crushed coriander seeds, black pepper and cloves.
- Now add baking soda and mix well.
- Now heat oil in a kadhai and add a spoonful batter in hot oil and fry Vadas on medium flame till they turn into golden brown colour.
- Take the vada out and drain it on the paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Posh Vada is ready to serve with Tomato Sauce & Green Chutney.