Tomato upma recipe with step by step photos. Tangy and Tasty upma recipe with full on flavors from tomatoes and spices.
Upma and Poha are two breakfast dishes i make regularly as they are quick to prepare with easily available ingredients.
Amongst the upma varieties, tomato upma is something very unique and Yummy. The tang from the tomatoes perks up the overall flavor in any recipe, so is the case with this upma. Its tangy and well as spicy.
Tomato Upma Recipe | How to make Tomato Upma
- 1 cup Semolina/ Suji
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Chana Dal
- 2 pcs Dry Red Chilli
- 1/2 cup Onion Chopped
- 1 cup Tomato Chopped
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2.5 cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Coriander leaves Chopped
- 8 pcs Curry Leaves
- 2 pcs Green Chilli Chopped
- Salt to taste
- Heat Pan and dry roast semolina until aromatic, but make sure it doesn't change its colour.Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, when seeds gets splutter add cumin seeds, urad dal & chana dal.
- Stir and saute till urad dal and chana dal on low flame till it becomes golden.
- Add dry red chilli, chopped onions and green chilli. Saute till onions turn translucent.
- Add curry leaves and saute for a minute. Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Mix well and cook till the tomatoes soften.
- Add water and salt. Let it boil.
- When water starts boiling add semolina slowly slowly. Immediately keep on stirring and mix well. Make sure there is no lumps formed. Cover and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and Serve Hot.