Green split moong Dal is also known as chilka Moong dal or Split green moong beans or green grams. These Green Moong lentils have been split but not skinned and have light yellow color inside.
Green moong have a natural and mild aroma and little bland in taste. Some people do not like the taste of moong dal but with the addition of onion, tomato, ginger garlic and cumin seed tadka you can makes this simple dal into a tasty flavourful dish.
This dal is one of my favourite and is really good for diet conscious people as Moong Beans are a rich source of protein and fiber.
Split Green Moong Dal Recipe
- 1/2 Cup Split Green Moong Dal
- 1 pcs Onion Chopped
- 1 pcs Tomato Chopped
- 3 pcs Garlic Cloves Chopped
- 1/2 inch Ginger Chopped
- 1 pcs Green Chilli Chopped
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 + 1/4 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/4 +1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 5 each Cloves
- 5 each Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Coriander leaves Chopped
- 1 Cup Water
- 3 Tbsp Ghee Replace with cooking oil if you don't like Ghee
- A Pinch Asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Wash the dal and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker heat 2 tbsp of ghee. Add cumin seeds, when seeds gets splutter add asafoetida, chopped onions.
- Saute the onions till it gets golden brown. Now add chopped ginger & garlic and Saute for a minute.
- Add Chopped tomato, green chilli, turmeric powder, coriander powder , garam masala & salt. Mix well and cook till tomato gets soften.
- Add washed dal and 1 cup of water. Pressure cook the dal for 3-4 whistle on medium heat. Turn off the flame and let the pressure go by itself, then open the cover.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Add hot water if required to get the desired consistency.
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee. Add cloves, black pepper.Add 1/4 tsp of coriander powder and 1/4 tsp of garam masala.
- Add tempering to the dal and serve Hot.