Spanakopita or Spinach Pie is a Greek savory pastry. The traditional filling comprises chopped spinach, feta cheese, onions or scallions, egg, and seasoning.
1 cup spinach, chopped (you can substitute frozen, thawed well)
1/2 cup olive oil
4 large onions, diced
2 bunches green onions finely chopped
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 cup. feta cheese, crumbled
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup ricotta or cottage cheese
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup olive oil
1 packet pastry sheets
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Wash and drain the chopped spinach very well. If using frozen spinach, thaw completely and squeeze out excess water. Spinach should be dry.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep saute pan or large dutch oven. Saute the onions and green onions until tender.
- Add the spinach, parsley, and cook for 5 to 10 minutes until the spinach is wilted and heated through. Add the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
If using frozen spinach, you will want to cook until excess moisture evaporates.
- Spinach mixture should be on the dry side.
- Remove from heat and set the spinach aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the feta, eggs, and ricotta (cottage) cheese. Add the cooled spinach mixture and mix until combined.
- Combine the melted butter with the olive oil in a bowl. Using a pastry brush, lightly grease 9 x 12 rectangular pans.
- Cut the pastry sheet same as size of pan. Layer the sheet on bottom of pan.
- Add half of the spinach mixture in an even layer and press with a spatula to flatten.
- Layer the another sheet on top of the spinach mixture making sure to brush well with butter/olive oil .
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until the pastry sheets turns a deep golden brown.
If the pita is frozen when you put it in the oven, you will need approximately 45 minutes cooking time.
- If fresh, plan for approximately 20 to 25 minutes of cooking time.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce.