Soya Chunks also know as meal maker is said to lower cholesterol levels, prevents heart diseases, controls hypertension, blood pressure, aids in weight loss etc. Though it does not have flavor of its own, it has the tendency to absorb the flavors well. So Why not to make Biryani… which is Nutritious, Healthy & Delicious.
Soya chunks – 1 cup soaked & drained
Baby corn – 10 sliced diagonally
Basmati rice – 1 1/2 cups soaked ( 45 minutes)
Black pepper – 10-12
Bay leaves – 4
Green cardamoms – 7-9
Caraway seeds (shahi jeera) – 2 tsp
Saffron (kesar) – 1pinch
Ghee – 3 tsp
Cloves – 2-3
Onion – 1 medium sliced
Ginger-garlic paste – 1 Tbsp
Tomato Paste – 2 Tbsp
Fresh cream – 1/2 cup
Butter – 2 Tbsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 1/2tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 Tbsp
Yogurt – 1 cup
Mint leaves – 1 cup chopped
Coriander leaves – 1 cup chopped
Screwpine essence (kewra)- 1/4 tsp
Orange color – Few Drops
Fried onions – 1 cup
- Heat sufficient water in a deep non-stick pan. Add half the black pepper, 2 bay leaves, half the green cardamoms, 1 tsp Sahi jeera and 1 teaspoon ghee. Mix well.
- Add rice and mix gently. Cook till the rice is 3/4 done. Remove from heat, strain and set aside.
- Heat remaining ghee in a non-stick pan. Add remaining sahi jeera, peppercorns, cardamoms, cloves, bay leaves and mix well. Add sliced onion and saute till it turns golden.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, mix and saute well. Add tomato paste and mix well.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala, cumin powder, salt and 2-3 Tbsp of water. Mix well and cook until masala cooks well.
- Add baby corn and soya chunks, mix well. Saute for 2-3 minutes .
- Add yoghurt and mix well. Now add half mint leaves, coriander leaves and 2 Tbsp of fried onions and mix well. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- In Separate bowl; combine cream, butter and saffron and mix well. Set aside.
- Now Spread the prepared rice on the vegetables. Top with cream-butter mixture and drizzle kewra essence on top. Sprinkle remaining mint leaves, coriander leaves, garam masala powder and fried onions.
- Sprinkle few drops of orange color. Cover with an aluminium foil, place a lid on top, reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with some fried onions and serve Hot.