A tasty and very healthy curry made of fresh (or frozen) peas which is known as Nimona locally and is a speciality of Bihar and Eastern UP. It’s a delicacy of UP enjoyed hot with rice or chapatis in chilled winters as peas are abundant in this season.
Green Peas – 1 cup (Fresh/ Frozen)
Mustard Oil – 3 Tbsp
Bay leaf – 1
Onion – 1 (Paste)
Onion – 1 (small cut into slices)
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 Tbsp
Green chilli – 2 (Chopped )
Potato – 1 (Cut into pieces )
Garam masala powder – 1tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1tsp
Coriander Powder – 1tsp
Spicy Bari / Kohrauri – 2 Pcs
Oil for frying Potatoes
Oil – 2 Tbsp for Saute green peas
Whole Red Chilli – 2
Ghee – 1 Tbsp
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a Kadhai and deep fry potatoes until golden brown. In the same oil fry bari.
- Coarsely grind green peas.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of oil and put coarsely grind green peas and saute for 5-6 minutes till its raw flavour goes.
- Now heat mustard oil in a kadhai. Add bay leaf and sliced onions. Saute till onions are golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and onion paste. Cook till onions become golden brown.
- Now add coriander powder, garam masala, red chilli powder and salt to taste.
- Cook masala for 2 minutes and add green peas and potato.
- Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes and add 2cups water and add badi.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes till your gravy gets thicken and potatoes cooked well.
- Now heat ghee in a small pan and add whole red chilli.
- Now take nimona in a serving bowl and splutter with tadka.
- Serve it hot with rice, paratha or chappati.