Did you know that bitter gourd or karela is not really a vegetable but a fruit? The part of the plant that is used for consumption and for various medicinal purposes is the fruit of the bitter squash.
Karela – 7 medium size
Roasted Peanuts – 3 tsp
Roasted Panch Phoron – 3 tsp
Chopped Onion – 1 medium size
Garlic cloves – 8-10
Lime juice – 1 full lemon
Garam Masala- 3 tsp
Mustard oil – 5 – 6 Tbsp for shallow fry
Salt to taste
- Wash and scrapes the karela (bitter gourd), slit length wise and deseed them.
- In a blender grind roasted Peanuts and Panch Phoron.
- Add onion and garlic, and grind it until its becomes nice smooth paste.
If not able to grind you can use 2 -3 tsp of mustard oil
- Take out the mixture in a bowl. Now add 3 tsp of garam masala, salt and lime juice. Mix well.
- Now stuff the karela with mixture.
- Heat oil in a Kadhai. when oil gets heated put the stuffed karela in the kadhai.
- Spread the remaining masala over the karela and cover the lid. Let it cook.
- Keep turning the sides occasionally, so they can cook from all the sides.
It will take a minimum 10-12 minutes to cook properly
- Cook until they are golden brown.
- Serve Hot with Dal and Rice.