Karnataka style Instant Vada made with Semolina (sooji). Whenever you wish to prepare vadas instantly that sooji vadas are a must try. As compared to dal vada making sooji vadas is quite easy and less time consuming. These are crispy outside and soft inside and taste super delicious. Sooji vada is a tasty and tempting breakfast or evening snack.
Semolina (Rava / Sooji) – 1 cup
Curd – ¾ cup
Onion – ¼ cup finely chopped
Green coriander – 2 Tbsp (finely chopped)
Ginger – 1 inch (finely chopped)
Green chilies – 2 (finely chopped)
Salt to taste
Baking soda – ¼ tsp
Water – 2 Tbsp
Oil – for frying vadas
- In a bowl add semolina and curd into it. Stir to mix everything well.
- Add ginger, green chilies, chopped onion and salt to taste. Mix well and add some water in the batter.
- Cover and keep the batter aside for 10 to 15 minutes to set.
- After 15 minutes the semolina will puff up. The batter should be same like urad dal vada batter.
- Add coriander leaves and baking soda to it. If the Batter is little thick, add 1 tsp water to it.
- Heat oil in a kadhai for deep frying. Now reduce the flame to medium.
- Take a bowl or glass and cover it with a cloth. Hold the cloth together tightly at the bottom. Wet this cloth with some water.
- Now place 1 to 2 tsp batter over it and roll into round vada and make a hole using your finger. Gently transfer the vada on ur palm and slowly slide the vada in oil. You can also wet your hands with some water and take some batter on your palm, roll it a little and make a hole using your thumb and slowly slide the vada in oil.
- Fry vadas until golden brown in color from all sides evenly.
- Drain them on kitchen napkin. Repeat the process with all the vadas.
- Serve Rava Vada with green chutney.