A flavour packed treat for your palate, the Hyderabadi Baingan is loaded with the dynamic flavours of several seeds and spices.
Brinjal / eggplant – 6 small
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 3 Tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – 6-7
Green Chilli – 2
Onion – 1 finelychopped
Tamarind Paste – 2 Tbsp
Jaggery – 1/2tsp
Water – 1 cup
For onion-tomato paste:
Onion -1 sliced
Cumin Seeds-1 tsp
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 Tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Tomato – 1 chopped
Coriander Powder -1 tsp
Kashmiri red chili powder – 1tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1 Tbsp
salt to taste
White Sesame seeds – 1STbsp
Desiccated Coconut – 2 Tbsp
Peanuts – 1 Tbsp
Poppy seeds – 1 tsp
Kashmiri red chili powder -1 tsp
Whole Red Chilli -2
Salt to taste
- Wash and dry the brinjal and slit them into 4 keeping the stem intact.
- Coat the inner side of the egg plant with some turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Dry roast the stuffing and blend into a blender .
- Stuff the prepared stuffing into the slit eggplants.
- Heat oil in a pan and cook it till half done and keep aside.
- In the same pan heat the oil. Add Cumin seeds and allow to splutter.
- Once cumin seed splutter, add onion and ginger-garlic paste. Saute well and add chopped tomato.
- Add red chilli powder, garam masala, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Saute for a minute. Let it cool and blend into a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, Fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and green chilli.
- Add onion – tomato paste and saute well. Now add the leftover stuffing (if left). Saute for a minute.
- Now add tamarind paste and jaggery and water (as required). Mix well and place the stuffed eggplant.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally and cook till the egg plants gets cooked completely.
- Serve Hyderabadi Baingan with Paratha or roti.