Dal Makhani (or dal makhni) is a popular dish from the Punjab region of the Indian subcontinent. The primary ingredients are whole black lentil, red kidney beans, butter and cream.
Whole black urad dal – 3/4cup
Kidney beans – 1/2cup
salt to taste
Water – 3 cups
Ghee – 3 Tbsp
Asafoetida – A pinch
Bay leaf – 1
Onion – 1 finely chopped
Tomato – 2 Puree
Green Chilli – 2 slit
Garlic – 4 crushed
Ginger – 1/2 inc crushed
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 1tsp ( As Per taste)
salt to taste
Water – 1 cup
Coriander – 2 Tbsp chopped
- Wash and soak whole urad and rajma overnight or atleast 8 hours.
- Drain, wash and pressure cook for 4 whistle by adding cups of water and little salt.
- In a kadhai add ghee. Add bay leaf, than add chopped onions. Saute till onions becomes golden brown.
- Add crushed ginger & garlic. Saute for a minute and add tomato puree and green chilli.
- Add garam masala, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and cook the masala for a minute.
- Once the masala cooks well, add cooked dal and give a good stir.
- Adjust the consistency by adding 1 cup water or as required. Boil for 10 minutes until the dal is soft and well blended and turns thick.
- Add cream, chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Let it simmer for 1 more minute.
- Garnish Dal Makhani with some fresh cream and Coriander leaf.
- Enjoy creamy dal makhani with Tandoori Roti.