Khichdi is a simple and comforting food prepared with dal (lentils) and rice. It is wholesome, nutritious, easy to digest and also very easy to prepare. Dal Khichdi can be prepared with a single dal or a combination of 2 or more dals (lentils).
Split Moong bean (Moong dal) – 1 cup
Rice – 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Water As required
For First tempering:
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Ginger-Garlic – 1 Tbsp crushed
Green chilli – 1 Chopped
Onion- 1 finely chopped
Mustard seeds – 1tsp
Tomato – 1 finely chopped
Red chilli powder – 1tsp
Coriander powder – 1tsp
Garam Masala – 1/4tsp
Additional salt if required
For Second tempering:
Ghee – 2 Tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Whole Red chilli Dry – 2
Curry leaves – 6-7
- Wash & soak the dal and rice together for 20 minutes.
- Pressure cook the dal and rice by adding turmeric powder, salt and 3 cups of water upto 3 whistle.
- In a pan heat oil and add mustard seeds, when it gets splutter, add asafoetida followed by onions, chrushed ginger – garlic and chillies.
- Once the onions turn translucent, add tomatoes, red chilli powder, garam masala and coriander powder; mix well and cook until tomatoes gets soften.
- Whisk the cooked dal and rice nicely and add water to it if required.
- Transfer the boiled dal and rice to the tempering and cook until it starts bubbling.
- For the final tempering, melt ghee in a tempering vessel and add cumin seeds, dried red chillies and curry leaves.
- Once it splutters pour this tempering on top of the khichdi.
- Enjoy Dal Khichdi with its chaar Yaar. Khichdi ke chaar yaar, dahi, papad, ghee, achaar, aur ye khate hain har Shanivaar 🙂