Dahi vada is deep fried lentil balls dunked in yogurt and topped with different kinds of chutneys and garnished with spice powder. Its a popular snacks in India.
Urad dal – 1 cup (without skin)
Ginger – 1/2 inch
Green Chilli – 2
Salt to taste
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Oil for fry
Luke warm water – 4 cups
For Dahi Mixture:
Curd – 3 cup
Roasted Cumin Powder – 1tsp
Salt to taste
Red Chilli powder – 1tsp
Sugar Powder – 1tsp
Roasted Cumin Powder
Red Chilli powder
- Wash and soak urad dal for 4-5 hours or overnight.
- Place the urad dal in the blender along with green chilli and ginger and blend into a smooth paste ( If needed add very little water) Do not add too much water otherwise batter will become watery.
- Remove in a bowl and add salt and garam masala .
- Heat oil in a kadhai.
- Now take a small portion of batter in your hand and make a round shape, with the help of your thumb make a hole in the centre (Doughnut shape) and slowly slid the vada in the oil.
- Once the vada are light brown turn over and fry till they are crispy and golden brow.
- Take out the vada and put them in a lukewarm water having 1/4 tsp of salt in it.
- Let it soak for 10-15 minutes.
- Take out them from water and press gently between your palms and remove excess water.
- Beat the curd and add cumin powder, sugar, salt and red chilli powder. Mix well .
- Now add the vada into this mixture.
- Now take a serving dish arrange the vada into that plate. Pour generous amount of curd over it.
- Drizzle green chutney, tamarind chutney. Sprinkle cumin powder and red chilli powder.
- Serve immediately or you can refrigerate it and eat chilled.