Chana masala, also known as “chole masala” or “chole” or “chholay”, is a dish from the Indian subcontinent; notable in Indian and Pakistani cuisine. The main ingredient is a variety of chickpea called chana or kala chana. It is usually served with bhatura or puri but not restricted to try with roti or paratha’s.
Whenever I cook Chole Bhature it reminds me of my mother, she used to cook just yummy. In fact when ever i used to go home during my vacations Chole Bhature were always in my menu. Hope my recipe taste a bit closer to her. Thanks Ma for this yummy recipe. 🙂
Chole Masala Recipe
- 1 Cup White Chickpeas / Chana Soaked overnight
- 2 pcs Bay Leaves
- 4-5 pcs Black Pepper
- 4 pcs Cloves
- 1 pcs Onion Chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Crushed
- 1 Tbsp Corianader Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Dry Red Chilli As Per taste
- 1 Tbsp Chole Masala
- 2 pcs Tomato Puree
- 2 tsp Tamarind juice As Per Taste
- 2 Tbsp Coriander leaves Chopped
- 4 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Cup Water
- Salt to taste
- Wash and pressure cook chickpeas by adding 1.5 cup of water and some salt for 6-7 whistle on medium heat or until soft.
- Heat oil in a pan , add bay leaves, cloves and black pepper. Saute for few seconds.
- Add Chopped Onion and cook until onion gets translucent.
- Now add crushed ginger & garlic. Cook until raw flavour disappears.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and red chilli powder. Saute for half a minute and add tomato puree.
- Cook till masala cooks well and starts releasing oil.
- Add pressure cooked Chana. Mix well and add 1/2 cup of water. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes .
- Add 1 Tbsp of Chana Masala and tamarind juice. Mix well and let it cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Serve Hot with Bhature.