Dal Tadka is one of the most popular dal recipe served in Indian restaurants.
Basically, Dal Tadka is cooked lentils which are lastly tempered with oil or ghee fried spices & herbs.
99% Indians simply love the dal tadka served at restaurants or dhaba.
Tadka is hindi word for tempering. In this technique, the spices & herbs are friend in oil, thereby the spices release essential oils & this change the flavour, aroma and taste remarkably of the final dish in which the tempering is added. Tempering is very much a part of cooking indian food. Infact we temper almost everything like dal, veggies dishes, chutney and i think every curry.
For making Dal:
Tuvar dal (Split pigeon peas) – 3/4 cup
Moong dal (Split & Dehusked Moong beans) – 1/4 cup
Asafoetida – A pinch
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Water as Required- 2.5 -3 cups
For Tadka / Tempering:
Onion – 1 chopped
Tomato – 1 chopped
Garlic Cloves – 4 chopped
Ginger – 1/2 inch chopped
Green Chili – 2 chopped
Coriander leaves – 2 – 3 Tbsp
Whole Red Chili – 2 Piece
Clarified Butter/ Ghee – 3 Tbsp
Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Preparation Method :
- Rinse the lentils and pressure cook the lentils along with Asafoetida, salt and turmeric for 5-7 minutes (3-4 whistles ) and let it cool completely.
- In pan heat 2 Tbsp of ghee , add cumin seeds.
- When seeds gets splutter, add chopped ginger and garlic. Saute for few seconds and add chopped onion.
- When onion gets golden brown, add chopped green chili and tomato. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- When tomatoes are soft, add red chili powder and garam masala. Mix well.
- Now add cooked lentils and Mix well.
- Give it a boil and add chopped coriander leaves.
- Before serving take out the lentils in a serving dish.
- Now heat 1 Tbsp of ghee in a small pan, when ghee is hot add 1/4 tsp of cumin seeds.
- When seeds gets splutter, add whole red chili.
- Serve the lentils by tempering on top and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with steam rice or chapati.