Spinach Dal / Dal Palak is one of the favourite dishes that is cooked all over in India during winter seasons. The best part of the dish is that we get proteins from the dal and vitamins & minerals from the Spinach in a single dish.
Palak or Spinach has various health benefits, Not only it helps in reducing the blood pressures, but it is also good for eyes and aids in weight loss. It goes well with steamed rice but you can also eat this with Chapati.
If you like Spinach, then there are lots of recipes that you can make with it. Some of the recipes are Palak Paneer, Palak Paratha, Palak Bhajia.
Dal Palak / Spinach Dal
- 1 Cup Toor Dal
- 1 Bunch Spianch Washed and Chopped
- 1 Pcs Onion FInely Choppped
- 1 Pcs Tomatao Finely Chopped
- 1inch Ginger Crushed
- 4-5 Cloves garlic Crushed
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 Tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Ghee/ Clarified Butter
- 1 Pc Whole Red Chilli
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder As Per taste
- Salt to taste
- A Pinch Asafoetida
- Water As Required
- Clean and wash the spinach leaves and finely chopped them.
- Wash the Toor Dal properly and in a Pressure Cooker add 1 cup of Toor daal and appx 3 cups of water.
- Now add 1 cup of spinach, turmeric powder, salt to taste and asafoetida. Pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- In a Kadhai add mustard oil. When oil gets hot add cumin seeds and crushed ginger-garlic. Saute for a minute.
- Now add chopped onions. Cooked until they are slightly golden.
- Add chopped tomatoes. and a pinch of salt. Let it gets cooked till tomatoes are slightly mushy.
- Add red chilli powder. Mix well
- Now add a handful of chopped spinach leaves. Saute for a minute.
- Add the cooked dal and mix well. Add hot water if required (according to your consistency)
- For Tadka in a pan heat 1 tbsp of clarified butter, now add 1tsp of cumin seeds . When seeds get splutter add a pinch of red chilli powder, whole red chilli and pour over the dal. HOT yummy Dal is ready to eat.