You will find that this Chana Dal (Bengal Gram) Paratha has a unique texture and rich flavour, which is a class apart from the rest of parathas ranging from potato, green peas and other veggies to cooked moong dal and even spinach . While the basic dough is a standard whole wheat flour one, it is the stuffing that makes this paratha mind-blowing. A mixture of cooked chana dal perked up with this very little spices, gives this dish a wonderfully balanced texture and peppy flavour, which is sure to steal your heart. Enjoy it fresh off the Tava with your favourite Raitas or fresh curds and Pickles. But i personally love it with yummy Kadu ki sabji.
For stuffing :
Chana dal – 1 cup (soaked overnight / 4-5 hrs)
Green Chilli – 2
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1tsp
Asafoetida – A pinch
Coriander leaves – 1 Tbsp chopped
Salt to taste
For Paratha :
Wheat flour – 1 1/4 cup
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Water to kneed the dough
Oil for Shallow Fry
- Add 1 Tbsp of oil in pressure cooker. When oil is hot add asafoetida, cumin seeds and chopped green Chilli.
- Add soaked chana dal. Add approximately 1 cup water and salt to taste. Pressure cook for 3 whistle.
- The chana dal should be cooked well, soft, and there will be no water left.
If there is some water left dry roast in a pan until desired texture
- Mash the dal with the help of masher. Add chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Knead the dough and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Take a medium size ball from a dough. Roll out in a small circle with the rolling pan.
- Now add the chana dal mixture in the centre. Bring the edges together and join them in the centre. Pinch out extra dough and give them a shape of pattie.
- Coat in the dry wheat flour and roll it out in a very thin paratha.
- Heat tawa on a medium flame and place the paratha. After a minute flip it over.
- Apply oil on each side and shallow fry until light brown spots appears on both the sides and paratha turns mild crispy.
- Transfer in a plate .
- Enjoy Hot chana dal paratha with Kadu ki Sabji.