Jeera Aloo is one of those dishes you prepare when you don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen and still want to eat something delicious. The coarsely crushed cumin seeds add plenty of texture and flavour and coat the boiled potato pieces perfectly.
Everybody has a different way of preparing jeera aloo and this combo is so perfect that it always turns out tasty. It is also ideal to eat during fasts. You can eat it with any kind of roti and with rice.
Potatoes – 4 to 5 (Boiled)
Rice flour -1 Tbsp
Vegetable Oil – 2 Tbsp
Asafoetida – A pinch
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds -1tsp
Coriander powder -1tsp
Cumin powder-1 tsp
Red chilli powder -1 tsp
Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Curry leaves -10-15
Green chillies – 2
Coriander leave for garnish
Salt to taste
- Pressure cook or boil potatoes until they are well cooked, peel the skins and cut each potato into 4 large pieces.
- In a large bowl toss the potato pieces with rice flour, coating them well. Keep aside.
- In a large Pan or Kadhai heat the oil. Add Asafoetida, curry leaves, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and Green Chilies.Once the seeds splutter, add the coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt to the oil.
- Stir well so that all the spice powder including salt get cooked in oil. Do this on a low flame so that none of the spices burn.
- Immediately put the rice flour tossed potato pieces, stirring gently to coat with the spices and oil.
- Cook them on a low flame until all the potato pieces get encrusted with spices, around 7-8 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander.
Categories: Main Course